Have you done what you can to preserve the life of your teeth? If so, great job! However, many things in life can damage our teeth beyond foods and sugars. Understanding these dangers can help you protect your oral health for years to come.
Our dentists, Dr. Murdock and Dr. Searle, encourage you to have positive oral health. As a result, our team at Murdock & Searle Family Dentistry in American Fork, Utah, is excited to help you on that quest.
Here is a list of hazards to your oral health:
– Poor oral hygiene: If you disregard your oral hygiene, you are placing your teeth and gums at risk of tooth loss and gum disease which could lead to bone loss.
– Tongue piercings: Tongue piercings can cause severe nerve damage and damage to your teeth.
– Chewing on ice: Ice is a very hard substance that can harm your teeth and gums, which is why it’s best to not chew on it.
– Chewing on pencils or pen caps: Chewing on pencils and pens can chip and crack your teeth, which is why it’s healthier to chew on something more manageable like sugarless gum.
– Tobacco use: Tobacco is known to increase your probabilities of multiple cancers in your body, especially your lungs and throat. Tobacco also aggravates the gum tissues and welcomes bacteria and nasty chemicals in your mouth.
– Biting your nails: Biting your nails puts a terrible strain on your teeth and jaw and can lead to complications like Temporomandibular joint disorder, which is a condition with the two joints that move your jaw up and down when you talk or eat triggering them to lock or become painful.
As you can see, life can provide many threats to your oral health. Luckily, our team is happy to help you! If you have questions or need a dental checkup, please call us today at 801-770-1222 to make an appointment. Our welcoming team is happy to help you.